Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dear President George Washington


Dear President George Washington,

Thank you for allowing me to take a picture with you a few weeks back. I am sorry for using improper grammar, I blame it on the schools, haha….just kidding. I have been thinking about one of your famous statements declaring your dislike for the two party system. I understand why you were against it, but it’s been over 200 years and although there have been disagreements, it hasn’t ruined our government. I don’t know how well you’ve been keeping up with politics lately but the ideals of the two parties now are similar to the political parties during your hay day. First are the Democratic-Republicans championed by Thomas Jefferson and similar to the Democratic Party of today. They believe in equality and helping others to achieve the great American dream. Second are the Federalists, having John Adams as a predominant figure and similar to the Republican Party of today. They believe in less government and allow people to improve their livelihood through hard work.

These two political ideals made sense to me. Although, I agree with one over the other based on further differences, I feel these two parties balance each other out and give the people a choice on what ideals they have, which allow them to identify with a specific party. However, I feel with increasing ignorance, times are starting to change. This scares me.

I feel the Republican party is becoming divided. This further segregates the party into either a fiscal conservative (Libertarian) or a social conservative. The ideals of a fiscal conservative do make sense. They work hard for their money, so why should people take it away? Although, I do have qualms with certain things, I feel they are justified for believing the way they do.

Now to the point of my letter, which deal with the influences and attitudes of the social conservative. These people base their political decisions on the Bible! Don’t laugh, GW, I’m not kidding. If you ask them, “why do you believe this?” a majority of their answers to this question may very well be: “because that’s what the Bible says.” Pretty scary, eh? It’s a very unfortunate circumstance, especially after you and the other esteemed politicians did such a magnificent job separating church from state. It is just sad to think intellectualism is being replaced by people who can’t think for themselves and use words written by another person to justify their morals, values, beliefs, and ideals. (To clarify, these are the most extreme kind of social conservatives like Governor Sarah Palin.) And worse, their population is growing! These are the same people who believe all condoms, birth control pills, and all other forms of contraception is a sin. (And just to let you know, the above devices used to prevent pregnancy.) So these people are reproducing just as fast as rabbits and which means their way of thinking can only increase. I fear this may be the beginning of the end of the core values of American instated by you and your friends. Do you have any suggestions to help preserve America in hopes that 200 years from now, we still exist with the values we have today?

Sincerely,
Scott Vouri

PS: On a positive note, we recently elected the first Black president in history. This may prove there is still hope for our country and there is still hope for the American people.

1 comment:

ABC said...

Your take on history intrigues me. That is all.

-Green Man