Friday, December 5, 2008

A Tip?!

Last night, my pharmacist gave me a letter dropped off by a patient earlier in the week. I helped this patient out by getting his insurance straightened out in order to get an early refill on medication prior to a vacation out of the country (which is a pretty standard situation in the pharmacy). I put the envelope in my pocket and decided I would read it at break when I had more time. Inside the envelope was a business card which said “Thank you for your efficient and courteous service” along with a twenty dollar bill.

Holy crap, a tip for pharmacy. This really blew my mind. In a normal situation, when a person tries to offer you money at the pharmacy, you kindly say ‘no thanks.’ But what do you do if someone does this for you when they aren’t there? I mean, a banana bread or zucchini bread or homemade cookies is one thing (mmm, which has seldom happened since pharmacy became a corporation) but money, there is no way I could possibly keep this. My mother as made a good point, I need to make sure I am kind in the way I respond as to not hurt this gentleman’s feelings.

So here is my response to this patient in the form of a Christmas card.

Dear Mr. B-----,
Thank you for your generous gift. It really makes work more meaningful when people are so gracious. Unfortunately, I am unable to accept this money. Even though it is very nice to see someone, as yourself, reach and show your appreciation, it is unnecessary. The only gesture I need to keep me motivated day in and day out, the only thing that can justify what I do that I am able accept is kind words and a warm smile. This is all I want, in which you have already given me. It does truly mean the world to me that you would go out of your way to show your kindness.
I feel it is my duty as a future pharmacist and future health care provider to do what I can to help my patients. And I hope anyone who has taken their oath or will take their oath, as I will in 6 months, would do the same for you or anyone else in need.
As for the $20, I decided to donate it to the Salvation Army at one of their collection posts. I feel, since I have already benefited from your kind acts, I will pay it forward to someone who needs it more, especially during this harsh financial and climatic months.

Happy Holidays,
Scott Vouri
Butler University

I hope everyone can experience a moment like this. Helping someone who can really benefit from it purely out of the kindness of your heart, it is really a humbling experience.

No comments: