Sorry for the delay, I have been waiting to upload a video, but it still hasn't been sent to me.
At Midyear in Orlando, I checked out a few VA (Veteran Affairs) Hospitals across the country, including Jesse Brown VA in Chicago. This is the second most popular VA receiving 150 applicants, interviewing 60 students, and accepting on 8 residents per year. I decided to give it a try even though the chances are against me because I want to live in Chicago. So I go there and talk to a current resident for about 10 or 15 minutes about various things. She tells me the 8 current residents there are like a big family, and they seem to all be very energetic and very enjoyable people to be around. So I left, liking the program, but knowing that my credentials won’t stand out enough and I don’t have enough connections to get an interview. I begin to focus solely on my two other options.
Fast forward to the next night.
Universal Studios closed down for everyone attending the conference. We all went, rode a few rides, and enjoyed a complimentary drink. When this closed down, a huge group with Butler decided to check out this karaoke bar called Rising Star. Now, first of all, this wasn’t your ordinary karaoke bar. The stage consisted of a full band and two back up singers.
However, we asked the bartender how long it would take for us to get up there and sing, and they said it was pretty much full. But I, of course, won’t take that as an answer and fill out a card anyway: “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks, a definite crowd pleaser. Anyway, an hour or two passes and none of us have gone up. In the meantime, Lorenz gets into conversation with a waitress about opening up the bar closer to us, which unfortunately never happened. To make it up, she asked him if any of us wanted to go up there and sing. He selected me for my outstanding voice. Another fifteen minutes goes by when I see, “next up Scott V.” on the screen. I run around the entire bar telling every person from Butler that I will be on next.
They called my name so I go up there and do my shout-out to Butler University. In front of the stage, which was occupied by only four or five people all night, was swarmed by everyone at Butler. So I sing my song, show my stage presence, and get crowd involved. I finish my song, thank the MC, thank the back up singers and go down and get high fives and hugs from the Butler crowd.
I settled down, got a beer, and waited for the next singer. I, then, got a pat on the shoulder. It was girl I talked to from the Chicago VA the day before. She told me I did an awesome job (maybe she was tone-deaf too) and that I was the type of person they look for when they interview candidates. She then introduced me to two other co-residents and said she would tell everyone else about me. She then told me to send her an email to remind her again of my name and match it up with my resume, and she will get me an interview at the hospital. I was shocked, I really didn’t think I had an opportunity to be on the radar at this location, but now, because of my karaoke-ing ability, I may have a chance at getting a residency position in Chicago. I surely don’t have my hopes up by any means, but the fact that she said she make an effort to get me an interview was awesome.
Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP14BDeBnyE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment