Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Drag Races

Catchy title I know...drag races in washington dc? But isn't that a metropolitan area where property values are through the roof and the cost of a racing track would be astronomical?

Well of course you are right, but what am I talking about?

Well if you are local of DC you know, but I will assume you don't and continue typing. Well, the Tuesday before Halloween, there is a little tradition at Dupont Circle (which is a very liberal area, in an already liberal city/district/what have you). Anyway, I'm sure this is making sense, if not.........well, the gay or adventurous, put on their favorite wigs and literally race (in a minimum of 3 inch heels as I was told by my new friend Ted [a lost Baldwin brother] earlier tonight) for, well, the hell of it!

It was definitely a life altering moment for me. Words really can't explain what I saw, but I will do my best in my "buzzed" state of mind!

So, first of all it starts at 9 and when I got there at 8, it was absolutely packed.

These cross-dressers came in a variety of shapes and forms (bullet points, a tribute to tyler klaehn):
  • Men who dressed it absolutely ridiculous costumes which include a ten foot replica of the washington monument and chicken suits
  • Ridiculous dressed men: this includes feathers, bee-hive hairstyles
  • Men dressed to impress: so there was the guy who had a 8 body guards and looked EXACTLY like Princess Diana, with the emphasis on EXACTLY
  • Men who tried to look hot but failed miserably (this was the majority): this range from huge guys acting the "navy women" and a ton of shitty looking wigs
  • And a small majority, men who could very well be mistaken for women (scary, I know!)
After struting their stuff for about an hour, they began the race. I believe it was about 5 blocks or so long, but the guy who won probably ran faster than I ever could (in heels!).

This is something everyone must see at least once (and there is no way you'll see this in Indiana, so its best to come to DC).
My final thought:
  • Being surrounded by drag queens, I now know how "manly" it feels like to be JR in normal conditions.

No comments: